LIFT Enrichment’s Mission
To help kids become smarter, healthier adults through top-notch Lego Robotics and Cooking after-school classes and camps.
Meet Our Founder: Eric Horwitz
“Hi! I started LIFT Enrichment in 2010 to combine three of my passions: teaching kids, building cool things with Legos and cooking delicious foods from scratch. Born in Ventura, CA, I’ve always enjoyed working with children: from my days as a summer camp counselor as a teenager to volunteering at a non-profit after-school programs in Trento, Italy. Originally we were called “Cooking Italiano for Kids” and “Lego Robotics” and now we’ve put those together under one roof LIFT Enrichment.
LIFT stands for Learning Is Fun Time, because it sums up my belief that learning should be a entertaining and educational.” – Eric Horwitz
WHY LIFT Enrichment?
- We are the best at our core subjects. Here’s the way I see it: If you are craving amazing Italian food, would you go to a restaurant that offers a variety platter of cuisines or an Italian restaurant that puts all it’s time and energy into making the best Italian food? You’d choose the Italian restaurant because you want the best! At LIFT Enrichment we are the BEST at our two subjects: Lego Robotics and Cooking classes and we put a LOT of man hours into creating the best curriculum which may involve creating our own Lego robots in-house or writing 100s of new recipes that work well in a classroom environment.
- 6 Years In Business working with 30+ schools. Our clients have trusted us to deliver exceptional programs taught by talented teachers for years. We partner with a variety of schools including:
- Private Schools: Village School, John Thomas Dye School, Echo Horizon School, Berkeley Hall School, Seven Arrows Elementary School, The Valley Schools
- Religious Schools: St Monica Elementary School, All Souls Elementary School, First Lutheran of Torrance School, St Gregory Hovsepian School, Weizmann Day School, Visitation Catholic School, Valor Christian Academy
- LAUSD Schools: Lanai Elementary School, McKinley Elementary School, Chandler Learning Academy, Webster Elementary School
- All Our Teachers Are Livescanned with the DOJ And FBI.
- We have General Liability Insurance
How We Teach Lego Robotics
- 1-hour classes teach kids how to build a robot and work as a team. Students will work in small groups together as they follow detailed instructions, as well as customize their bots.
- We incorporate STEM principles Our classes highlight the engineering and science behind robotics, so students can learn about gears, motors, ultrasonic sensors, touch sensors, color sensors and more!
- 20% of Class Time is devoted to learning about computer programming. Most other Lego Robotics programs skip teaching computer programming because it’s difficult. We devote two full classes each session in which the instructor has students build programs that make the robot come to life.
- Our SECRET AGENT THEME adds an extra dose of fun This isn’t your every-day Lego class. Our teachers are “Commanders” who build robots with our students to take them on “missions” to stop an evil villain known as “Professor Snot Rocket.” Each session features a fun-filled story that keeps kids coming back for more.
- ROBOTS, ROBOTS AND MORE ROBOTS Anyone can pick up a Lego Mindstorms set and build a robot that comes with the box. We did that and then started creating OUR OWN robots from SCRATCH. We create instructions for advanced robots you can’t find anywhere else including: a Trex Bot, Triceratops Bot, Lunar Rover Bot, and more along with old favorites like the Hammer Car, Robogator and more.
- Lego graduation brings in parents for a fun-filled ending lesson where we showcase the robots we made and our secret agent moves! Parents love to see how their kid have learned new elements about robotics and have increased their “rank.”
How We Teach Cooking Classes
- 1-hour classes teach kids how to cook from scratch, learn about nutrition and culinary basics We believe cooking is an important, lifelong skill that allows kids to appreciate food, where it comes from and how it effects your body. Students who learn to cook when they’re young will have the tools to feed themselves, friends and family and share in the communal experience of eating a good meal together.
- No kitchen required! Our Chef Teachers come equipped with hot plates and plenty of cooking supplies to make Ratatouille with Garlic-Herb Toast, Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Fresh Basil, Italian Donut Holes, Fish Sticks with Fresh Salmon and more. We only need a room with a sink nearby, an electrical outlet, tables and chairs.
- We cook with lots of vegetables to expand a child’s palate Our recipes in an 8-10 class session incorporate a variety of vegetables including: kale, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, asparagus, beets and more!
- We accommodate vegetarians each class Each session features two, healthy proteins such as dish that features chicken, fish or beef but we also have substitutions so our vegetarian students can enjoy the class.
- Kitchen Safety is Number 1 Each class our Chef Teachers share our rules, tips and tricks to make sure cooking is fun AND safe. Kids will learn to chop, using metal butter knives, so they learn to handle and cut vegetables. We’ll also teach mixing, measuring, whipping, sauteeing and much more!
- Sample Curriculum: Eggplant Parmesan, Hearty Vegetable Soup, Pasta with Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Fresh Basil, Shredded Chicken Tacos with Queso Fresco, Parmesan Fish Sticks with Fresh Salmon, Kale Caesar Salad, Zeppole, an Italian Donut Hole, “Choco Tacos” with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Kid Restaurant Experience for Parents! Each session ends with a Kid Restaurant where parents are invited to an experience where their kids are both the waiter and the chef.
- Includes a Full-Color Cookbook! Kids will received a full-color, bounded cookbook each session featuring all of the recipes.
“LIFT Enrichment’s Lego Robotics program was an excellent after-school class. Considering the high-energy nature of our kids, the teacher Juan has been fantastic – I’ve had the pleasure of watching him do his thing and love how engaged all of our students are when in his class. The kids always look forward to Lego Robotics, and it’s quickly become one of the most popular and sought-after courses we offer.”
– Carlos Ramon – Director After School Programs – All Souls Catholic School”
“The Lego Robotics program was stimulating and dynamic. The instructors engaged every student through humor and creative storytelling. The students learned a lot about engineering and they built some impressive robots!”
– Nat Damon, Assistant Head of School, John Thomas Dye
“Leila loves the (instructors) and is having a great time! We are very happy that this class is being offered at Visitation and cannot wait to come to the last class to see what the kids have been working on.”
– Carole, Parent
“Jacob absolutely adored Cooking For Kids. Every Wednesday he brings me some of what he’s made to try and he’s SO PROUD. Plus it has totally opened up a whole new world of food for him!”
– Susanna, parent
“My son loved the Cooking Class at Echo Horizons …he was always excited to go afterschool, and he seems so proud of what he cooked, saving a portion for us when we picked him up. I feel that the experience of a cooking class helped him become confident in the kitchen, and made him excited to help prepare meals as a family!”
– China, parent
The Lego Robotics class was a hit! Thank you for always providing fun classes for the kids. I look forward to another great trimester!”
– Gricelda Gamboa, Director of Enrichment and Summer Programs, Village School