In yesterday’s post on my 3 keys to meal prep I showed you EXACTLY how to get your kids to help you meal prep flavorful (and healthy) meals for the week.
But you’re gonna need some more help and here are my 4 chef hacks when you AND YOUR KIDS are making healthy meals together
=> Yesterday’s Post: Here’s How To Meal Prep Like A Chef (in 3 steps)
Chef Hack 1: Reheat It LIke You Cooked It!
You just made hamburgers the day before. If you put those patties in the microwave they will turn into TOUGH AND DRY hockey pucks of meat.
Instead, put them in the pan, with a bit of oil over low heat and put the cover on and let them gently heat up for about 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway.
With the cauliflower, you can put those next to the burgers in the pan, or reheat them in an oven tray at 350F covered in foil for 10-15 minutes.
If it’s lunchtime, and I need something real quick, I will use the microwave but it’s always better when you spend a few extra minutes to reheat any cooked protein in a pan.
Bonus tip: Put a bit of chicken, beef or vegetable stock on top of each item to moisten it up!
Chef Hack 2: 15 Minute Prep For The BIG meal
For most families, dinner is the big meal where everyone is sitting together.
It’s the same at my house, as that’s the only time Liz and I are at home and we can relax and enjoy our food (no TV watching!)
Spend 15 minutes following my steps below for reheating your dinner and it will become HOT and delicious, without a messy kitchen.
- Use the oven to reheat your entree (start it beforehand, so the food goes into the oven 15 minutes before serving)
- During that time, assemble the side dish, like a green salad
- Delegate: Kids can set the table while your partner preps the salad
And in 15 minutes, you’ll be set!
Chef Hack 3: Sauces are your friend (pre-made!)
I’m not gonna lie, I don’t have time to make every sauce from scratch.
A store bought high-quality sauce can elevate your meals.
- Mix low-sugar ketchup with a bit of low-fat mayo on your burger (i.e. Inn-n-out sauce knock off)
- Top your salad with delicious dressings like fat-free vinaigrette and Bolthouse farms Caesar
- Serve the cauliflower with a bit of low-calorie ranch.
Chef Hack 4: The QUICK CLEAN saves your mind
While all your food is hot and fresh, I’ll bet your KITCHEN is a mess.
Mine is, until I started doing the “quick clean”
Originally I never cleaned because I was worried about food not being served hot, but a simple 2 minute “quick clean” can make my kitchen look presentable and thus relaxes ME, so I can enjoy the meal.
Just try to enjoy a meal while your kitchen is within eye-site and it’s a disaster zone, with bowls and cutting boards and food everywhere. It’s not easy.
Instead, when your food is served, tell your kids to spend 2 minutes to package all goods into the fridge.
- Put your dishes in the sink (or next to your sink)
- With a damp dish towel, wipe your surfaces areas
- Put a bit of water and soap in your pans
- Package all chopped goods into small deli-containers for easy storage
In just 2 minutes, your kitchen looks great! Now eat and enjoy 🙂
If you liked these kitchen hacks, I have a virtual at-home cooking class that has an entire video lesson with dozens of tips about Meal Prep and making cleanup FUN for kids.
Yes, it can be fun
Click the link below and join the class!
Chef Eric Horwitz
CEO / Head Chef – LIFT Enrichment, Inc.
P.S. For parents at home with kids who won’t eat their vegetables, LIFT Enrichment has a virtual at-home cooking class called“Kids Can Cook At Home Master Class”
- The course has 30 high-quality video recipes designed for you to teach your kids culinary skills and make healthy
- These recipes are loved by over 2,000+ kids who have taken our classes
- 15 lessons on kitchen safety, health education, culinary skills to teach kids, grocery hacks, budgeting tips, art of meal prep and much more!
- You have lifetime access to the course!
- 30 day money back refund, it’s not risk to try it out
Here’s the link for 50% off (originally $199, now only $99) that expires in 48 hours and is just for our parents